We prepared our easy spaghetti squash casserole recipe for days when we’re completely famished but still trying to maintain a healthy attitude toward lunch and dinner. Spaghetti squash is shockingly low in carbs and calories—it’s the ultimate ingredient hack!
We included all of our equally low-carb Italian favorites like marinara sauce, Parmesan cheese, olive oil and lean ground beef. Combined with seasonings like basil, thyme and minced garlic, dinner will be table ready in 45 minutes or less.
Spaghetti Squash Casserole Recipe
- 1 spaghetti squash, prepared
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp ground thyme
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- red pepper flakes, for sprinkling
- Prepare spaghetti squash according to recipe. Stir in basil and thyme then set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat, then add onion and ground beef, breaking it up into small pieces. Cook until browned. Add garlic and cook for 1 additional minute. Add marinara sauce to meat and stir to combine.
- Place half of the prepared spaghetti squash in bottom of a greased 2-qt casserole dish. Spread half of meat sauce over squash. Top with a layer of mozzarella cheese and add remaining squash. Layer with remaining meat sauce.
- Mix Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese and panko together in a small bowl. Sprinkle topping over entire dish, cover with aluminum foil then bake 20 minutes.
- Uncover and continue baking an additional 10 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Serve and enjoy immediately.
Give the red pepper flakes a go if you like it hot, hot, hot!