Ah, fish and chips. A classic fried dish that warms any seafood-lovers heart! Since a classic version of this recipe can pack quite the calorie-filled punch, we created a lighter version that is gluten-free, paleo-friendly, and Whole 30 approved. Woohoo! The cod is lightly breaded and topped with our yummy homemade tartar sauce (which – warning – is incredibly addicting) and served alongside crispy gold potatoes. This healthy fish and chips is a great dinner for any night of the week and will satisfy any craving.
We threw everything in the air fryer to give it that extra crisp. It also allows you to use less oil, making this dish even healthier. If you don’t have an air fryer, check out the recipe tips below!
This post may include links to purchase items from our affiliates.
Healthy Fish and Chips Recipe Tips
- If you don’t have an air fryer you could try pan searing the fish instead for about 3-4 minutes per side over medium heat.
- The potatoes can be thrown in the oven at 425 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until they are fork tender.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. To reheat, place in the air fryer for about 5 minutes on 400 degrees.
Healthy Fish and Chips Recipe
- Air Fryer
what you'll need
- 1/2 cup avocado mayo
- 1 tsp fresh dill
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp capers chopped
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
let's do it
- Make the tartar sauce by whisking together all of the tartar ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate while you cook the fish and ‘chips’.
- Spread the cubed potatoes out on the air fryer sheet and spray lightly with cooking oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook the potatoes in the air fryer at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes. While the potatoes are cooking, batter the fish
- Prepare a dredging station by placing the whisked eggs in a large shallow bowl.
- In another shallow bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Take one of the cod filets and dredge it in the egg. Let any excess egg drip off then transfer it to the dry mix. Coat the fish completely then repeat with the remaining filets.
- Once the time is up on the air fryer, remove the potatoes and add the breaded fish and spray lightly with cooking oil. Cook in the air fryer at 375 degrees for 6 minutes, then at 425 degrees for 4 minutes to crisp them up.
- Serve with a spoonful of tartar over the top and enjoy!