Do your kiddos gripe about getting bundled up for winter, not wanting to wear hats or put up their hoods? We don’t think you’ll hear any complaints when it comes to our animal earmuffs—they’re so darn adorable the kids will want to keep them on for sure!
We’ve made this DIY project inexpensive and super easy for you. Our free Everyday Dishes & DIY earmuffs animal printable gives you a choice of a penguin, elephant, owl or cat to download. If your child has a favorite superhero or cartoon character in mind, simply use our printables as a guide. We’ve included lots of basic shapes to help you out!
Earmuffs, felt, scissors and a glue gun will get you started to create a menagerie of animals which will keep your kids warm. First, choose one animal printable, download and print. Next, make a rough cut around the shapes on the printable—no need to be perfect.
Put each rough cutout on top of a piece of felt using a straight pin or your fingers to hold it in place, then cut out. Assemble felt pieces on the earmuff for correct placement then glue in place, using a hot glue gun. When gluing animal ears to earmuffs, make them more secure by gluing them as close as possible to the elastic so they don’t get stretched.
If you’ve embellished your creations with buttons or small pieces, keep your child’s age group in mind—you don’t want anything to come loose and become a choking hazard.
This is also a fun craft for the kids to do, but be sure to have them use fabric glue instead of a glue gun—you don’t want there to be any tears.
- Everyday Dishes & DIY DIY animal earmuffs printable
- glue gun and glue
- Download [url href=”https://everydaydishes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/DIY-animal-earmuffs-cherylstyle-cheryl-najafi-template.pdf” target=”_blank” title=”Everyday Dishes & DIY Animal Earmuffs”]Everyday Dishes & DIY DIY animal earmuffs printable[/url] and open in [url href=”http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/” target=”_blank” title=”Adobe Reader”]Adobe Reader[/url].
- Make rough cut around shapes on printable.
- Put rough cutouts on top of felt (either hold in place or pin) and cut out with scissors.
- Put cutout felt pieces on earmuffs for placement and glue in place with hot glue gun or fabric glue.
- Make sure to cut off any rough parts of fabric or excess glue that may have hardened.
- Remove earmuff cover to make it easier to shape and create your animal—make sure to put the earmuff cover back on the earmuff before gluing to glue the right parts in the right place.
- For the elephant earmuffs, consider gluing ears to back of earmuff cover rather than to fur of earmuff for additional stability; just make sure to glue it on the cover, not directly to the earmuff itself so it can be removed if needed.