DIY pet art print
We’re sure you’ve seen the many versions of pet art at stores and online, and they’re not cheap. Why not create your own DIY pet art print using an actual portrait of your pet?
This craft is really easy, inexpensive and gives you a chance to show off your furry friend using his photo. A small canvas, scrapbook paper, adhesive and spray paint is all you need.
Choosing a photo of your dog from the zillions that you have is probably the hardest part of this project! Look for one that shows off his silhouette for best results. Just print, cut it out then adhere to canvas covered in patterned scrapbook paper. Spray paint then carefully peel the cutout off to reveal a classy print.
It’s all about choices—the photo, paper, colors and how many to make. Group several together for an impressive display and your friends are sure to ask where you bought them.
- canvas (we used 6″ x 6″)
- scrapbook paper
- photo of your pet
- card stock
- X-acto knife
- disposable gloves
- spray adhesive
- spray paint
- First, adhere patterned scrapbook paper to the front of the canvas using spray adhesive. Trim excess from all sides, using an X-acto knife. Set aside.
- Now comes the fun part! Find a photo of your pet—one which shows off his silhouette.
- Adjust the size to fit nicely on your canvas by selecting ‘scale’ in your print options. Adjust the percentage higher or lower, depending upon your photo then print on card stock.
- Next, cut out the silhouette of your pet using an X-acto knife. Test the size by placing the cutout over your canvas. Make adjustments as necessary.
- Make sure your work area is well ventilated or head outdoors for this next step. Put on disposable gloves and spray a light coat of spray adhesive onto the back of your cutout for a light tack. Place the cutout on top of your patterned canvas, hover directly over it and lightly spray it with spray paint—you don’t want to stand at an angle and chance getting paint under the cutout. Don’t forget to paint the sides too.
- Once you’ve sprayed an even coat, gently remove the cutout by lifting it upward to avoid smearing.
- Set aside to dry then repeat with the remaining canvases if you’ve chosen to do more than one.
- Hang and admire your custom art!