DIY Sleepover Pillowcase Bag
Create a cute, inexpensive, functional, and easy DIY sleepover pillowcase bag out of a pair of pillowcases and scrap fabric. Our simple sleepover kit doubles as both a pillow and a bag. One side holds your pillow and the other can be filled with pajamas, clothes, and a blanket. In addition, this design includes a fabric pocket for all of your child’s sleepover essentials.
You can personalize this DIY sleepover pillowcase bag with your kid’s favorite colors, initials and other embellishments that make this item unmistakably their own.
DIY sleepover pillowcase bag instructions
DIY Sleepover Pillowcase Bag Instructions
- 2 pillowcases
- 2 sheets of felt (solid or pattern optional)
- additional felt for embellishing pocket flap
- 2 yards polypropylene webbing for straps
- sewing machine
- sewing needle
- sewing pins
- hot glue gun and glue
- Determine size of felt pocket and flap.
- Trim as desired and pin to right side of one pillowcase TIP: it’s a little tricky to sew the pocket on since it’s a pillowcase. slowly walk it around as you sew, making sure you don’t sew the case together.
- Attach embellishments with a needle and thread or hot glue.
- Put both pillowcases together so finished sides face each other (i.e. openings are the same direction). Pin in place.
- Sew 3 sides to create bag.
- Sew opposite end of pillowcase openings on short side.
- Continue along bottom, stop and reposition to sew flap.
- Sew 2 inner flaps of pillowcase opening together so there are 2 pockets to insert pillow and blanket . You are sewing this inside out and will reverse it once you’ve finished sewing so don’t worry about perfect seams.
- Turn inside out so finished felt pocket is facing outward.
- Position, pin and sew both polypropylene webbing straps in desired location and comfortable length. Let the packing begin!
Don’t forget—sleepover kits are for the boys too!