DIY Swag Wreath
Why go artificial when you can upcycle fresh evergreens from your own yard to make a swag wreath for the holidays? We chose Cream de Mint Dwarf Mock Orange Pittosporum. Its variegated white edge contrasts nicely with its richly colored leaf, and the natural curve of the branch makes it a perfect fit for this DIY.
Having trouble finding a suitable shrub? Choose from your local nursery’s vast array of plantings.
Follow our simple directions using floral wire, wired ribbon and a chain. You’ll create a fresh, half moon shaped wreath with antiqued chain that costs under $15. It makes an affordable gift that’s unique.
When gifting, chill your finished wreath to keep the foliage fresh until you’re ready to deliver.
Looking for more untraditional wreaths to make? Try our yarn wreath with toothpick balls or our eucalyptus and crab apple wreath. They’re sure to spark comments this holiday season!
DIY Swag Wreath Instructions
- bundle of [url href=”http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/1989/cream-de-mint-dwarf-mock-orange/” target=”_blank” title=”Cream de Mint Dwarf Mock Orange Pittosporum Branches”]Cream de Mint Dwarf Mock Orange Pittosporum branches[/url]
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/Paddle-Wire-Gauge-Ounces-Pkg-Green/dp/B004BPY6SW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395793376&sr=8-1&keywords=paddle+wire+24+gauge” target=”_blank” title=”Paddle Wire”]paddle wire[/url], 24 Gauge
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009WG6FW/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0009WG6FW&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20″ target=”_blank” title=”jack chain”]jack chain[/url], zinc plated
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007G5T02Q/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B007G5T02Q&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20″ target=”_blank” title=”Burlap Wired Ribbon”]burlap wired ribbon[/url], 4″
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HLDLNS/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B007HLDLNS&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20″ target=”_blank” title=”Silver Metallic Wired Ribbon”]silver metallic wired ribbon[/url], 2″
- glittered bird or ornament of your choice
- Cut chain to desired length for hanging swag (or have hardware store do it) and place chain in bowl.
- Pour vinegar over chain, enough to fully cover and let sit 24 hours.
- Remove chain and let dry on paper towel.
- Select branches with natural curve.
- Slightly stagger 2 branches so they’re not directly on top of one another.
- Tightly wrap floral wire around stem of 1st branch attaching 2nd branch on top (hold wire paddle with one hand and tightly wrap without cutting until branches are attached).
- Lightly bend branches if needed to help curve swag.
- Add remaining branches and wrap with wire until half moon shape is complete, 5-6 branches total.
- Cut wire and secure (fill in empty areas with smaller branches or leaves, hot glue if necessary).
- Attach end loops of chain to wire to back of each side of swag wreath.
- Layer and wrap ribbon around swag slightly off center.
- Hot glue glittered bird or ornament onto center of ribbon.