Homemade Candles for Mother’s Day
If you think making homemade candles is difficult, think again! Our easy-to-follow instructions, plus a sentiment on a printable label, turn Mason jars into thoughtful yet practical homemade Mother’s Day gifts.
‘A mother’s love burns brighter than any flame’ is an original sentiment we made expressly for this occasion. Use a jar large enough to accommodate the printable—ours was one pint.
Wax will scorch if melted over direct heat but there’s no need to spend money on special candle-making equipment. You can create a water bath by using your own pots and pans.
If desired, mix oils to create a unique fragrance for Mom. This is one gift that will appeal to both her senses and her heart.
This post includes links to purchase items you’ll need from our affiliates.
How to make homemade candles
- homemade candles printable
- 1 sheet [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KNHRTE/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000KNHRTE&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20&linkId=EHD7RSZ6KWAFVJUA” target=”_blank” title=”Vellum”]clear velum[/url]
- scissors or precision knife
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LB69GK2/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00LB69GK2&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20&linkId=2WPT3UOA4LHZ5FF2″ target=”_blank” title=”16 oz Mason jar”]16 oz Mason jar[/url]
- decoupage glue and brush
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092RKDN6/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0092RKDN6&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20&linkId=HLW3UA4ZEMLHSUOZ” target=”_blank” title=”Candle wax”]candle wax[/url]
- small metal pot for pouring
- larger pot for heating
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PNGJ2E/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001PNGJ2E&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20&linkId=N7T6LUYJC3KYXOWN” target=”_blank” title=”Candle wick”]wick[/url]
- Download the [url href=”https://everydaydishes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/printable-homemade-candles-mothers-day-everydaydishes_com.pdf” target=”_blank” title=”Homemade candles printable”]homemade candles printable[/url] and open in [url href=”http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/” target=”_blank” title=”Adobe Reader”]Adobe Reader[/url].
- Print on velum and cut out using scissors or precision knife.
- Brush a coat of decoupage glue onto the FRONT of the cutout, place it inside the jar and allow it to dry. Now apply glue to the BACK of the cutout, allow it to dry then clean off any excess around it.
- To melt the candle wax, place it in a pouring pot—a metal pot that’s small enough to fit inside a larger pot. Fill the larger pot with a few inches of water, place it on your stove and bring the water to a boil. Place the pouring pot inside the larger pot then stir occasionally to allow the wax to melt completely.
- Carefully pour melted wax into the jar and insert wick. Hold the wick in place by resting a dowel across the top of the jar and attaching a clothespin to both the wick and the dowel.
- Allow wax to harden then trim wick to 1″ in length.