DIY cinnamon Christmas tree
Make our DIY cinnamon Christmas tree for a nice change of pace from the ordinary evergreen. The pleasant aroma of cinnamon sticks will have you looking for cookies!
It’s not difficult to construct our unique looking tree. We used a round walnut plaque as our base. Its rugged edge gives our cinnamon Christmas tree a rustic and natural appeal.
Add a topper and you’ll have a spectacular little tree that packs a powerful punch of sweet smelling cinnamon.
This post includes links to purchase items you’ll need from our affiliates.
- 4 – 12” cinnamon sticks
- 4 – 8” cinnamon sticks
- 4 – 10” cinnamon sticks
- 4 – 6” cinnamon sticks
- 4 – 4” cinnamon sticks
- 4 – 2 ½” cinnamon sticks
- box cutter
- round walnut plaque
- wooden spool
- jute twine
- hot glue gun and glue
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005V2UI9U/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B005V2UI9U&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20″ target=”_blank” title=”Cinnamon Essential Oil”]cinnamon essential oil[/url] (optional)
- Measure cinnamon sticks to length needed, mark with pencil.
- Score pencil mark with box cutter around cinnamon stick.
- Place the stick on the floor at a 45º angle while holding with your hand and apply pressure on the stick with your foot to snap where you’ve scored (don’t worry if it’s not a perfect break, cinnamon sticks aren’t perfect and imperfections add character). Repeat for all sticks.
- Scrape sticks with box cutter to add texture and intensify cinnamon scent.
- Measure and mark center of wood base.
- Hot glue wood spool in center of base.
- Crisscross 2 – 12” sticks (place a dab of hot glue between the sticks to keep them from moving).
- Wrap jute around center of sticks to secure.
- Tie knot and cut excess string.
- Hot glue sticks to top of spool, holding in place until glue cools and hardens.
- Repeat for all sticks as you work up tree, making sure to center sticks as you build upward so the tree doesn’t wobble.
- Adorn with tree topper.
- Finish by gluing more twine around the center to hide any extra glue and add more stability.