Remind dad he’s loved with a DIY dad desk nameplate. It’s inexpensive, easy to make and you can pick up wooden letters, spray paint, and decoupage glue at most local craft stores.
Simply spell out dad’s name or another term of endearment, spray paint the letters and base in dad’s favorite color, and transform family photos and words of adoration into a work of art he’ll cherish daily. This gift is a great way to honor Father’s Day, celebrate dad’s birthday or create memories for a new father.
This post includes links to purchase items you’ll need from our affiliates.
- 3 wood letters (DAD or other term of endearment)
- craft wood base
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FKBYUU/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000FKBYUU&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20″ target=”_blank” title=”Compression Connector Concrete Tight 1/2″”]compression connector concrete tight 1/2”[/url] (for pencil holder)
- spray paint
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H5VTTY/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000H5VTTY&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20″ target=”_blank” title=”120 Grit Sand Paper”]120 grit sand paper[/url]
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IKES5O/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001IKES5O&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20″ target=”_blank”]decoupage glue[/url]
- foam brush
- X-acto knife
- cutting board
- cardboard box
- Sand letters and wood base lightly to smooth any rough areas . You may want to sand the bottom of the letters to help them sit flat on the base.
- Dust off pieces and place in cardboard box for painting.
- Spray paint 2-3 coats on the back of the letters and top of the base; let dry.
- Cut out or tear photos and arrange on top of letters to get an idea for placement . Use your camera phone so you remember where they go.
- Apply a thin coat of decoupage glue to unpainted side of letters and place photos.
- Once dry, place letters face down on cutting board and trim excess photo using X-acto knife.
- Apply 2-3 thin coats of decoupage glue to tops of letters and lightly sand in between each.
- Using glue gun, adhere letters and compression connector (pencil holder) to painted base.