We love reusable shopping bags, but the ones we find at the grocery store look a little ordinary and aren’t exactly our style. So, we decided to make a fashion statement by creating our own out of a pillowcase.
Our DIY pillowcase shopping bag is inexpensive and simple to put together. All you need to do is choose a pillowcase that suits your personality and felt in a fun color or pattern to make outside pockets. You’ll also need polypropylene webbing from your local craft store to create strong straps.
So take out your sewing machine and get started! If you can thread a machine, you can easily complete this project.
This post includes links to purchase items you’ll need from our affiliates.
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YYZSJA/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000YYZSJA&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20″ target=”_blank” title=”Natural Cotton Batting”]natural cotton batting[/url] (enough to line inside of pillowcase)
- sheet colored felt (for exterior pockets)
- 1 1/2 yards (approximately) polypropylene webbing for shoulder straps/handles (available at most craft stores)
- sewing machine
- sewing pins
- Cut piece of natural cotton batting to fit the inside of pillowcase. The batting may need to be a smidge smaller than the pillowcase to fit.
- Wiggle batting in so it lays flat. Pin in place.
- Sew along all 4 sides to secure batting, about 1/8”–1/4” from edge.
- Fold pillowcase in half.
- Pin both sides to secure.
- Sew each side to create bag.
- Fold bag inside out (hem just sewn is now on inside).
- Cut colored sheet of felt in half (two 6”x9” pieces).
- Place one felt piece vertically and other on top of first piece.
- Position felt pockets on one side of pillowcase.
- Pin and sew to secure pocket.
- Sew slowly so you don’t sew through the other side of your bag, walk it around and let your hands guide you.
- You can sew the pocket onto the bag before you sew the sides together, Whichever is easier for you. Just be certain to put the pocket in the right place since you’ll be folding your pillowcase in half.
- Cut 2 polypropylene webbing straps to desired lengths.
- Pin and sew in desired locations.