Add a little fun to your kid’s valentine gifts! This valentine craft is easy to do, doesn’t cost a fortune, is filled with surprises and is super fun to open!
Start by upcycling a few chip cans and grab some scrapbook paper and foam or felt to make DIY rocket Valentines that can be filled with an assortment of treats for the holiday!
Choose 12″ x 12″ scrapbook paper as plain or fancy as you think they’d like. Cut it to fit the can, apply double-stick tape and wrap the paper securely around the can.
Create a cap for the rocket by downloading and printing our DIY rocket Valentines cap template, cutting it out and placing it on foam or felt for tracing. Once traced, form a cone shape, glue to hold, trim then apply letters and shapes for personalization to both the cap and the tube.
Hot glue a circle made of card stock to the outside of the lid, cut an X through the lid using an X-acto knife, bend pipe cleaners in half then push them through the lid. Bend pipe cleaners’ ends to secure to the lid, applying hot glue if necessary.
To make custom tags, download and print our DIY rocket Valentines tag printable on card stock, cut them out, hole punch them and tie them to the pipe cleaners with string.
The only thing left to do is to fill up each rocket with candies, small toys, fun socks or anything else they would like and place the cap on to secure them inside.
Our rockets can be modified for just about any holiday or occasion—just coordinate your paper choice with the embellishments and add appropriate trinkets. The kids are going to love them!
DIY rocket Valentines instructions
- chip can with lid
- 12″ x 12″ scrapbook paper
- double-sided tape
- DIY rocket Valentine cap template
- 8½” x 11″ card stock, foam or felt sheet
- decorative scissors (optional)
- foam or felt letters and embellishments
- hot glue gun and sticks
- 3½” card stock circle
- X-acto knife
- 2 pipe cleaners
- DIY rocket Valentines tag printable
- 8½” x 11″ white card stock
- hole punch
- Cut scrapbook paper to length of can. Apply several pieces of double-stick tape to can and wrap with paper
- Download the [url href=”http://everydaydishes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/template-diy-rocket-valentines-everydaydishes_com.pdf” target=”_blank” title=”DIY rocket Valentines lid template”]DIY rocket Valentines lid template[/url] and open in [url href=”http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/” target=”_blank” title=”Adobe Reader”]Adobe Reader[/url]. Print template and trace then cut out of foam or felt sheet. Form cone shape and glue to hold. Trim cap with decorative scissors if desired.
- Apply letters and shapes to tube and cap using double-stick tape or hot glue if needed—keep in mind how far the cap hangs down (you don’t want to cover up your design with the cap).
- Hot glue card stock circle to outside of lid and cut an X through the lid using X-acto knife. Bend 2 pipe cleaners in half then push through lid. Bend pipe cleaner ends to secure to lid (hot glue in place if needed).
- Download the [url href=”http://everydaydishes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/printable-diy-rocket-valentines-everydaydishes_com.pdf” target=”_blank” title=”DIY rocket Valentines printable”]DIY rocket Valentines tag printable[/url] and open in Adobe Reader. Print on card stock, cut out, hole punch then tie to pipe cleaners with string. Fill the can with goodies, apply cap and surprise your Valentine!