Flag Table Runner
If the 4th of July picnic’s at your house this year, this DIY table runner is the perfect addition for holiday decor. It’s quick, super easy to make and there’s no sewing involved.
Burlap is the ideal fabric to use for this craft. It not only holds paint well but it’s also affordable. Make your runner as long as necessary or make several short ones to place on each table—either way, it won’t break the bank!
Painter’s tape provides the guidelines for the flag’s stripes so it’s important to make the edges of the burlap nice and straight. To learn how to cut burlap, check out our video to see just how easy it is.
Once completed, fray edges for a rustic look or fold them over and sew for a more finished look.
Flag table runner instructions
- tailor’s chalk
- burlap, cut 58″ x 17″
- iron (optional)
- painter’s tape, 1.5″ wide
- 1″ star stickers
- blue spray paint
- red spray paint
- Measure and use tailor’s chalk to mark burlap then cut. Place horizontally on a protected work surface and iron if necessary.
- Measure and tape off a 22″ x 8″ rectangle in the upper left-hand corner. Space star stickers evenly within the rectangle and adhere. Carefully spray the rectangle blue, peel off the tape and stickers then allow the paint to dry.
- Starting at one end, position painter’s tape 1½” from the bottom edge of the burlap to form a stripe along the entire length of the runner. Make 4 additional stripes, leaving a space the width of the tape in between.
- Protect the blue rectangle from paint splatters then spray the rest of the runner with red paint. Carefully remove the tape and allow the paint to dry.