Kansas City-Style Spareribs
They don’t call barbecue finger-lickin’ good for no reason, and our Kansas City-style spareribs aren’t just finger-lickin’ delicious—they’re plate-lickin’ good too! Our ribs are meaty, tender and come out of the oven just about ready to fall off of the bone.
Now, technically, Kansas City-style barbecue is smoked over a period of 12 hours, but who has the time and resources when you’re busy carting off your tribe to soccer practice? This recipe is quick, simple and extinguishes your craving for ribs that are practically out of this world.
You can test the tenderness of these Kansas City-style spareribs throughout the cooking process by inserting a sharp knife between the bones. The knife should pierce the meat easily, and if for some reason it doesn’t, continue baking for up to 30 minutes.
Kansas City-Style Spareribs Recipe
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp seasoned salt
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 2 racks pork spareribs
- 1 bottle barbecue sauce, Kansas City-style
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees then coat a grill pan or baking sheet with a rack inside with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together all ingredients for dry rub until evenly combined. Pat ribs dry using paper towels then trim away excess fat and silver skin from both sides.
- Season both sides of each rack of ribs generously with spice rub, using half of the rub for each rack. At this point, you may begin baking right away or cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- Place ribs on prepared pan then bake 2½ hours. Begin checking ribs at about 2 hours and rotate if necessary for even cooking. If the edges of the meat are becoming too crispy and dark, cover the ribs loosely with a sheet of aluminum foil for remaining cook time.
- When ribs are tender, remove from oven then brush top side with barbecue sauce. Return to oven and bake uncovered for an additional 20 minutes. Separate ribs by cutting between bones and serve with remaining sauce.