This year, we’re counting down to the New Year!
We have a super simple and delicious sugar cookie recipe that we used to make super cute cookie clocks.
New Year's sugar cookie clocks recipe
what you'll need
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 2/3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp powdered sugar sifted
- 1 Tbsp light corn syrup
- 1 Tbsp 2% milk or whole milk, plus additional for thinning if needed
royal icing decoration
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 rounded tbsp meringue powder
- 3 - 4 Tbsp water warm
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice or clear vanilla extract, optional
- food coloring black gel
- 1 bag piping with #2 tip
let's do it
- Cream sugar, butter, vanilla and egg until light and fluffy. Stir in remaining ingredients until dough forms; refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Roll dough into 1" balls and place on parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned, let cool completely.
- Mix powdered sugar, light corn syrup and milk together in small bowl. Add additional milk to thin icing, if necessary.
- Apply cookie glaze to cookie, let set.
- Combine powdered sugar and meringue powder in stand mixer bowl, whisk together by hand. Add 6 tbsp water to mixture, add lemon juice or vanilla extract, if desired.
- Start mixing on the slowest speed with paddle attachment until well mixed. Gradually turn mixer up to medium/medium-high speed, beat until icing is fluffy. Add water (a few drops of at a time) until desired consistency is reached. Mix black food coloring into icing, put in piping bag.
- Draw numbers and hands on clock (clock should read 11:55). Serve and ring in the new year!
One Last Thing
Let's be honest. I just wanted an excuse to eat sugar cookies.
Calories: 201kcalCarbohydrates: 38gProtein: 2gFat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.1gMonounsaturated Fat: 0.4gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 83mgPotassium: 31mgFiber: 0.5gSugar: 27g