Potatoes are a fabulous dinnertime staple, but coming up with inventive ways to serve those great-tasting spuds can be a challenge. This recipe for armadillo potatoes is an excellent departure from your regular potato routine.
Dried parsley, paprika, salt and pepper make this dish colorful and flavorful. Slicing them thinly allows each slice to get crispy and super tasty. With just a 10-minute prep time, this recipe is worth a try!
There are no rules when it comes to herbs and spices—feel free to experiment with your favorite herbs, cheeses and other accouterments like bacon, shallots and beyond. Just make sure to thinly slice your potatoes then fan them out—this method makes a dramatic presentation and allows the potatoes to cook faster.
- 4 medium sized baking potatoes
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 c Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- cracked pepper
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees.
- Scrub potatoes, pat dry then remove any blemishes.
- Using a chef’s knife, make slices ¼” apart all the way along the length of the potato. If you are not confident in your knife skills, use the handles of 2 wooden spoons as guides. Just lay the wooden spoons along each side of the potato and cut down until your knife touches the handles.
- Gently fan the potatoes so the slices separate slightly. Don’t worry if they don’t stay open, they’ll fan out when they cook. At this point, we just want enough space for the butter and salt to enter.
- Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and pour half of the melted butter over the potatoes. Sprinkle gratuitously with salt, making sure to season the interior of each slice.
- Bake the potatoes for about 40 minutes, then remove them from the oven and sprinkle with garlic powder, Parmesan cheese and paprika.
- Return potatoes to oven for an additional 10 minutes and remove when potatoes are cooked through and the cheese is crispy on top. Drizzle with remaining melted butter, then sprinkle with parsley flakes and fresh cracked pepper.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!