Bacon au Gratin Potatoes
Thinly sliced Russet potatoes layered with cream sauce, bacon, onion, garlic and shredded cheese all come together in our savory recipe for bacon au gratin potatoes. This dish will far outshine the competition with its unique taste and rich flavor.
We submerged the peeled potatoes in water prior to preparing them because it helps prevent them from turning brown during the cooking process. You can also place the sliced potatoes in water; however, you’ll just want to make sure to pat potato slices completely dry before layering them in the casserole.
When your bacon au gratin potatoes are ready to come out of the oven, poke a knife in the center of the casserole to ensure it’s cooked through—you’ll know it needs to cook a few minutes longer if the texture feels crunchy.
This post includes links to purchase items you’ll need from our affiliates.
Make bacon au gratin potatoes using einkorn flour!
Bacon au Gratin Potatoes Recipe
- 3 - 4 Russet potatoes, baked, peeled and thinly sliced, about 2 lbs
- 8 slices bacon, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, ½ stick
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cup Gouda cheese, shredded, Monterey jack or Havarti cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees then butter a 9" x 13" casserole dish. Peel potatoes then submerge in water until you’re ready to slice them.
- Place a medium-sized skillet over medium heat then cook diced bacon for approximately 7–8 minutes until crispy. Transfer bacon to a paper-towel lined plate then drain bacon grease from the skillet, reserving 1 Tbsp of drippings to cook the onions and garlic.
- Return skillet to heat. Add onions and garlic then cook for 4 minutes or until onion becomes translucent. Remove skillet from the heat; stir bacon crumbles into onion mixture then set aside.
- Place a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat then add ½ stick of butter. Once the butter has melted, add flour then whisk to combine. Let flour mixture cook for 1 minute before adding cream then whisk until no lumps remain.
- Stir in thyme, salt and pepper then let mixture come to a bubble. Once the mixture is bubbling, reduce heat to medium-low, simmer for 3 minutes then remove sauce from heat.
- Remove one or two potatoes from the water then cut into ⅛" slices. Cover bottom of the prepared baking dish by ‘shingling,’ or slightly overlapping potato slices. Season the layer of potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Pour ⅓ of the cream mixture over the potatoes then spread evenly. Sprinkle ⅓ of the bacon mixture over the cream layer, followed by ⅓ of the shredded cheese. Repeat 2 more times, seasoning each layer with salt and pepper.
- Bake 45–55 minutes until a knife is easily inserted into the casserole. You’ll be able to feel if the potatoes are still crunchy. Remove from oven then let rest 15 minutes before serving.