You don’t need a neighborhood deli nearby to enjoy a great sandwich—in fact, this quick, easy and cheesy bacon turkey avocado melt is just the ticket to a satisfying lunch.
Let’s be honest—everything tastes better with bacon. This recipe incorporates crispy bacon, ripe tomatoes, fresh avocado, savory shaved turkey and mild yet tasty mozzarella cheese all between two golden brown pieces of sourdough bread. Is your mouth watering yet?
This sandwich will come together easily so long as you’re organized. Keep ingredients within arm’s reach so you can keep your attention on the skillet. Don’t be shy with the toppings either—pile everything high until your heart’s content!
bacon turkey avocado melt recipe
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and lightly mashed
- 1 tomato, ripe, sliced
- 1 lb turkey breast, shaved
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella cheese
- Place a large skillet over medium heat then add the bacon. If necessary, cut the bacon in half to fit into the skillet. Cook until firm and slightly crispy then transfer to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
- Remove the bacon fat from the skillet and wipe clean. Return skillet to the heat then allow it to reheat while you spread butter on one side of each piece of sourdough bread. Place 4 bread slices, butter side down, into the skillet then grill until lightly golden brown. This will only take about 2–3 minutes, but check often—the bread can go from golden brown to black quite quickly. Remove the grilled bread from the skillet then allow to cool for just a moment. Once the bread has cooled slightly, spread the uncooked side with mashed avocado then set aside.
- Before you proceed, make sure all the sandwich components are within arm’s reach.
- Place the remaining 4 slices of bread into the skillet, butter side down. Quickly layer each slice of bread with tomato slices, turkey, mozzarella and bacon. Top with avocado smothered bread then press the sandwiches together with a spatula. You can also weigh the sandwiches down by placing a heavy skillet on top just to press the ingredients together.
- Grill only until the bottom slice of bread is golden and crispy. (About the same amount of time as the first slices.) Remove from the skillet and serve nice and warm. Enjoy!
If you’re on the go, prep this sandwich then wrap it in tinfoil! A portable meal never tasted so good!