Are you looking for a savory side dish but trying to curb your carb intake? Our cheesy cauliflower casserole has all of your favorite flavors—sharp cheddar, Parmesan cheese, garlic, onion and carb-free cauliflower!
This casserole is not just über delicious for the adults. It’s also a great way to sneak super-healthy cauliflower into your kids’ diets. Where the adults view this dish as a delicious potatoes au gratin substitute, the kids will think this recipe is similar to baked mac and cheese without the pasta!
Cheesy cauliflower casserole is the perfect side dish for poultry, fish, beef and pork, but you don’t have to limit this recipe to a traditional side dish. Our cheesy cauliflower casserole is also appropriately served alongside an entrée salad, or even on its own!
Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole Recipe
- 2 heads cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and generously butter an 8" square casserole dish.
- Bring water to boil in a large pot over high heat and cook cauliflower for 6 minutes. Remove from heat, strain then place in a casserole dish.
- Sauté onion and garlic in butter over medium heat until onion is translucent, about 2 minutes. Add flour, whisk to combine then cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk until flour is dissolved. Stir in cheeses until melted. Turn off heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour cheese sauce over cauliflower then bake 20-25 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Make sure you drain the cauliflower really well before adding it to the casserole dish so your cheese sauce doesn't get watered down.