Baked Meatball Subs
Our baked meatball subs are quick, easy and super good! It’s the perfect recipe for when you just don’t have time to make bread and meatballs from scratch.
Trot on over to your local supermarket and hit up the freezer section for meatballs—there are a ton of varieties—we chose Italian-style cocktail meatballs for this recipe. Then swing by the fridge and grab refrigerated French bread dough, which is crusty on the outside and soft on the inside—yum! Assembly couldn’t be easier, and the results are hearty and cheesy.
Baked Meatball Subs Recipe
- 11 oz tube French bread dough, refrigerated
- 1 cup pizza sauce, plus more for dipping
- 24 cocktail meatballs, defrosted
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, or provolone cheese, shredded
- garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees then lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Remove French bread dough from tube as directed on package. Locate seam along the length of the dough (trust us, there is a seam) and unroll dough into a flat sheet. Cut dough down the middle vertically, then into thirds horizontally. This will provide you with 6 rectangular pieces of dough.
- Spread about 1 tsp of pizza sauce into a line in the center of each piece of dough, leaving a ½" border on each side. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp cheese on top of sauce. Place meatballs on top of sauce, top with 1 more Tbsp of sauce then sprinkle with about 2 Tbsp shredded cheese. Reserve remaining sauce for dipping later.
- Fold top and bottom edges of dough over filling, pressing seam together to secure shut. Seal left and right sides of dough together then transfer to prepared baking sheet, seam side down. Fold flaps of dough on left and right edges under. Repeat with remaining subs.
- Cut a slit into the top of each sub. As it bakes the top will split open to reveal the meatballs inside.
- Sprinkle excess cheese on top of each sub followed by a light dusting of garlic salt. Bake 20–22 minutes or until cheese and bread are golden brown and crispy on outside. Let cool for 5–10 minutes before serving. Heat reserved pizza sauce in microwave and serve on the side for dipping.