Bean and Cheese Jalapeño Poppers
Looking for a light and delish game day appetizer? Our jalapeño popper recipe is it! It’s vegetarian-friendly with black beans, bell peppers and fresh red onion.
Most of a pepper’s heat is in its seeds and white membranes. So, if you want spicier poppers, try stirring in a bit of these parts. But be careful—there’s no way to know exactly how hot it’ll be! Make sure to taste-test as you go.
We couldn’t get the jalapeño poppers to stand upright the first time around. We used crumpled aluminum to keep them steady on the next try and it worked like a charm.
Bean and Cheese Jalapeño Poppers Recipe
Try this vegetarian jalapeño poppers recipe for a lighter take on sausage or cream cheese filled poppers!
Yield: 20 -24 poppers
- 10-12 large jalapeños
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, about 1 small, finely diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, about ½ small, finely diced
- 1 cup Mexican cheese blend, shredded, plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line with a sheet of slightly crumpled heavy-duty aluminum foil. Spray lightly with cooking spray and set aside. The unevenness and ability to be shaped makes the crumpled foil the perfect resting spot for wobbly stuffed jalapeños.
- Cut jalapeños in half lengthwise and remove all seeds and any white membrane. In a medium-sized bowl, mix all ingredients for the filling until completely combined. If you would like the filling to be spicy, just stir in a few of the seeds that were removed from the jalapeños.
- Fill each pepper with filling, mounding slightly. Situate each pepper on the aluminum foil, nestling it down so that the pepper is perfectly upright and stable. Repeat with remaining peppers until all filling is used.
- Bake 18 minutes or until filling is hot and bubbly and jalapeño is just becoming tender. Remove from the oven and top each jalapeño popper with just a tiny bit of shredded cheese. Return to the oven just long enough to melt the cheese then remove from oven and cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!
Pick large jalapeños that will hold the most filling!
Calories: 45kcal, Carbohydrates: 4g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.05g, Monounsaturated Fat: 0.2g, Cholesterol: 6mg, Sodium: 147mg, Potassium: 25mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 1g
Tried this recipe?Mention @EverydayDishes or tag #everydaydishes!