Baked Panko-Crusted Mozzarella Sticks
Fall is here and that means tailgating season! Nothing is better than snacking on wings and fried foods, but that isn’t so great for the waistline.
Don’t disappoint your friends or say no to your favorite appetizers; you can still enjoy hot and gooey cheese sticks without the extra guilt. Surprise everyone with baked Panko-crusted mozzarella sticks!
This quick and easy recipe uses yummy spices such as garlic, parsley and oregano mixed with panko and breadcrumbs for an Italian flavored coating that really stands out.
If you really want to make them skinny, substitute regular cheese sticks with a fat-free version. They may not melt as well, but still taste great!
Panko-Crusted Mozzarella Sticks Recipe
Our baked Panko-crusted mozzarella sticks are a healthier alternative to fried cheese sticks and make a great tailgating snack!
Yield: 12 sticks
- 3/4 cup flour
- 12 mozzarella sticks
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 cups panko, or breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pour flour in large resealable bag. Add cheese sticks and shake until evenly coated, set aside.
- Whisk egg in mixing bowl, set aside.
- Combine grated Parmesan, panko or breadcrumbs, garlic salt, pepper, parsley and oregano in shallow mixing bowl.
- Remove cheese sticks from flour mixture and shake off excess. Dredge cheese sticks in egg then into breadcrumb mixture; place on baking sheet.
- Spray each cheese stick lightly with olive oil cooking spray and bake 6-8 minutes. Remove when cheese is soft and starts to ooze out of bread coating.
- Serve hot with a side of marinara sauce. Enjoy!
Baking snacks instead of frying is a great way to save a ton of calories!
Calories: 168kcal, Carbohydrates: 18g, Protein: 10g, Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 0.2g, Cholesterol: 38mg, Sodium: 370mg, Potassium: 22mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 0.4g
Tried this recipe?Mention @EverydayDishes or tag #everydaydishes!