Fire up the grill and check the fridge for leftovers. Chicken-stuffed jalapeños make spicy poppers that cook in about five minutes. A combination of cream cheese, jack cheese and spices complements the zesty flavor of the peppers.
Grilling gives these yummy treats a slightly smoky flavor and you needn’t worry if they get slightly charred on the bottoms. If the weather doesn’t cooperate, simply preheat the oven and bake 20–25 minutes. They’ll still taste pretty darn good!
You need to know a few things when it comes to jalapeños. If your skin is sensitive, you may want to put on a pair of gloves to avoid the oils when cutting jalapeños. Most of the heat in the pepper is contained in the membrane and seeds. You can easily adjust it by leaving a few seeds in or stirring some into the filling.
Spicy Chicken Stuffed Jalapenos Recipe
what you'll need
- 12 jalapeños
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup chicken cooked, chopped or shredded
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup green onion sliced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt to taste
let's do it
- Preheat the grill to medium heat or your oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse the jalapenos under cool water and pat dry with a kitchen towel. Cut the jalapenos in half lengthwise and use a spoon to hollow out the halves by removing the seeds and membranes from the inside of the pepper. If you like things spicy, leave a few seeds in or stir some into the filling. Set the peppers aside while you make the filling.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add the cream cheese and stir until all the lumps have been removed. Add all of the remaining ingredients and mix until everything has been evenly incorporated.
- Spoon approximately 1½ tbsp of filling into each hollowed out jalapeno—just enough to fill and slightly mound each one. Place in a 9" x 13" baking dish and refrigerate until you are ready to cook them.
- Place the poppers in between the grates of the grill to hold them upright then grill 3–4 minutes or bake uncovered 20–25 minutes in the oven. Remove from heat and wait 5 minutes for the filling to set before serving. Enjoy!