This chipotle chicken puffs recipe is so darn tasty and is perfect for serving groups of people. You can adjust the spice level for to your liking. You can even use leftover chicken for the chicken puff filling.
Just make sure the puff pastry has thawed completely according to the directions on the package. Don’t try to defrost it in the microwave. We’ve done that and it doesn’t work. Trust us. And be careful to not “overfill” the pastry cup or you’ll have a gooey explosion on your hands. Bake for 10–12 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
This chipotle chicken puffs recipe is sure to be a crowd pleaser, so make sure you snag a few pastries for yourself! There won’t be leftovers.
Spicy Chipotle Chicken Puffs Recipe
what you'll need
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast cooked and shredded
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced small
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper or green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp chipotle pepper in adobo sauce minced
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 box puff pastry thawed per box instructions, 2 sheets
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
- chili powder for sprinkling
let's do it
- Place 10" skillet over medium heat and add oil. Add chicken and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add chipotle, onions and bell pepper when chicken is nearly cooked through then cook another 2 minutes.
- Put chicken filling in bowl. Add cheese and stir until melted. Cool completely (cheese will cool the filling substantially—DO NOT add hot or warm filling to puff pastry). At this point, chicken and cheese mixture can be kept refrigerated up to 2 days before baking in puff pastry.
- Thaw puff pastry according to package instructions and preheat oven to 425.
- Roll pastry on lightly floured surface into a 12" x 9" rectangle and cut into 12 – 3" squares (pizza cutter works well). Repeat with second pastry sheet. Press pastry square into mini muffin tin, crimping where needed.
- Beat egg with Parmesan cheese and brush each pastry cup lightly with beaten egg mixture (if pastry is getting soft, return to refrigerator or freezer until firm again). Sprinkle each pastry lightly with chili powder. Fill cups with approximately 1-1 1/2 tsp filling but do not over fill. Bake 10-12 minutes until golden brown and bubbly. Serve while hot and enjoy!