Treat your chocolate-loving sweet tooth to awesome chocolate skillet brownies.
This recipe makes enough to fill a 10″ skillet with brownies that are about ¾” thick. You’ll have plenty of the dessert to share…but you may not want to.
A few scoops of your favorite ice cream—vanilla, caramel or, if you’re really adventurous, rocky road—is the perfect topping. Just don’t forget the drizzle of hot fudge sauce!
Nuts are optional, but if you want to add some crunch to these skillet brownies then we recommend using walnuts, pecans or hazelnuts. Brazil nuts are a tasty addition, too. Just make sure to chop them up well.
Skillet Brownies Recipe
what you'll need
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup nuts chopped, optional
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (milk, dark or semi-sweet)
let's do it
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and place 1 cup of chocolate chips in a large mixing bowl. Place a 10" iron skillet (or any 10" oven-safe skillet with high sides) over medium heat and melt butter. Remove skillet from heat, pour hot butter over chocolate chips and allow it to sit for 1 minute to allow chocolate to melt.
- Use a paper towel or pastry brush to lightly coat the inside of the skillet with residual butter from the pan and set aside. Stir butter and chocolate chips together with a whisk until combined and chocolate is melted. A few small lumps of chocolate may remain and that is okay, but the mixture should be relatively cool.
- Add eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt to chocolate mixture and whisk until completely combined then sift flour, cocoa and baking soda on top. Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients until no dry spots remain. Fold in nuts if desired.
- Transfer batter into prepared skillet and bake 20–22 minutes or until top begins to crack, center is set and a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Remove from oven and sprinkle with additional ½ cup of chocolate chips and allow them to melt on the surface. Serve and enjoy!