Easy Bourbon Chicken
Call us traditionalists, but we’re of the belief that if a recipe mentions an item, it should actually contain that ingredient. Especially when said ingredient is bourbon! Our easy bourbon chicken comes with a good dose of hooch and a hearty flavor.
According to foodie legend, the original dish got its name from Bourbon Street in New Orleans where it started. It’s a fun fact for sure, but we like our slightly boozy version a little better.
Besides the bourbon, we “jazzed” up our recipe with a dash of Worcestershire sauce and a sprinkling of pepper flakes. It’s tasty, zesty, and just the perfect amount of spicy.
Easy Bourbon Chicken Recipe
- 2 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp peanut oil, or favorite frying oil
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- chives, for garnish
- sesame seeds, for garnish
- Trim chicken thighs of excess fat and cut into bite-sized pieces. Place the minced garlic, honey, ¼ cup chicken broth, bourbon, ¼ cup soy sauce, chili powder, ginger and red pepper flakes in a large bowl and mix well. Add chicken to bowl and rest in refrigerator for 1 hour or overnight.
- Drain chicken in a strainer placed over a bowl. Press chicken against the sides of the strainer to remove as much liquid as possible. Retain marinade to make glaze for chicken.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in large frying pan over medium-high heat. Dredge half of the chicken pieces in cornstarch, shaking off excess. Place chicken in the hot pan and fry until crispy on all sides. Drain chicken pieces on a paper towel-lined plate and repeat with remaining pieces.
- Pour marinade into a pan and add the remaining ½ cup chicken broth and ¼ cup soy sauce. Bring to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes to reduce and thicken. Add chicken back to pan and coat with sauce. Cook until chicken is hot and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Squeeze lime juice over chicken just before serving over rice. Garnish with chopped chives and sesame seeds. Enjoy!