You know how every year around this time you treat yourself to some pumpkin pie? And then you think, ‘It doesn’t get much better than this.’ Well, it actually does. Case in point: pumpkin donut holes!
These warm and cinnamon-y, pumpkin-y pillows of goodness are about to become your favorite new dessert. When prepping to fry the donuts, oil should be two to three inches deep and between 350 to 360 degrees.
Donuts will grow a bit as they cook, too, so drop small amounts of dough in carefully, leaving enough room for them to expand. A small ice cream scoop is an easy way to make donut holes that are uniform in size.
Once they’re done, use a slotted spoon or spider strainer to remove the donuts from the oil. Place on a paper towel-lined plate to dry.
Pumpkin Donut Holes Recipe
what you'll need
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- oil for frying
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
let's do it
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices in medium mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Cream sugar and butter together until fluffy. Add egg and beat until well incorporated. Stir in buttermilk, pumpkin purée and vanilla.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together until smooth batter forms—do not over-mix. Cover batter with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour or until firm.
- Add oil to large saucepan or Dutch oven to a depth of 2"−3" and attach a thermometer. Heat oil on medium to 350−360 degrees.
- Carefully drop batter by heaping teaspoons into oil—do not overcrowd oil. Allow donuts to fry for 2−3 minutes, turning once.
- Remove from oil and place on a paper towel-lined plate. Restore oil temperature to 350−360 degrees; repeat with remaining batter.
- Place cinnamon and sugar in a resealable plastic bag and shake to combine.
- Add warm (not hot) donut holes, seal and shake to coat.
- Enjoy with coffee or tea!