Next time you head to the grocery store, leave the boxed macaroni and cheese on the shelf. Once you’ve tried this easy bacon mac and cheese casserole, your family won’t want any other substitute!
This is definitely not your ordinary mac and cheese recipe. We used not one but three different cheeses—cheddar, Monterey Jack, and Parmesan—are blended together for a taste the kids (and adults) will absolutely love.
Our bacon mac and cheese casserole recipe is an excellent weeknight meal, but it’s so good your family is sure to request it as a regular side-dish.
Bacon Mac and Cheese Casserole Recipe
- 1 lb macaroni
- 12 oz thick-cut bacon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sage, dried
- 1/2 tsp rosemary, dried
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated, divided
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bring water to boiling in a large pot and add noodles, boiling 3-4 minutes, just to get them started. Strain and set aside.
- Small dice bacon and sauté until crispy in a large skillet. Remove bacon and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Drain bacon fat from pan and save for another use. Return pan to medium heat. Melt butter and sauté garlic for 30 seconds. Add flour and whisk to blend. Cook for 1 minute then add milk and cream. Whisk to blend and let simmer for 3 minutes. Add salt, pepper, sage, rosemary and mustard. Simmer 2 more minutes.
- Add all 3 cheeses; stir until melted then fold in noodles and sautéed bacon. Pour into greased 9" x 13" pan and top with breadcrumbs. Drizzle with melted butter and bake 20-25 minutes.
Make mac ‘n’ cheese ahead of time so it’s ready to go when you are!