A great dessert doesn’t always have to go straight to the waistline. Our angel food cake parfaits with homemade blackberry sauce gives you the sweet, vanilla satisfaction of cake with the tart zing of berries—all at a fraction of the calories from regular cake!
We used angel food cake in this recipe because it’s only 72 calories per serving! You can buy fresh angel food cake at your local grocery store for about $4. All you have to do is cut it into cubes.
Voila! A chic dessert that tastes great is easier than you think. Your guests will certainly enjoy the great flavor and appreciate the lack of guilt later!
Angel Food Cake Parfaits Recipe
- blackberry sauce
- 4 cups blackberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- blackberry whipped cream
- 2 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 6 Tbsp blackberry sauce
- 2 - 3 boxes instant vanilla pudding, prepared
- 1 6 oz packages raspberries
- 2 6 oz packages blackberries
- 1 angel food cake
- fresh mint
- Add blackberries to small saucepan over medium heat and stir in water and sugar. Cook blackberries until they start to break down then turn heat to low. Simmer sauce 7 minutes.
- Strain blackberry sauce, squeeze as much juice out as possible using a spatula then cool in refrigerator.
- Chill the bowl and whisk attachment of a stand mixer in the freezer. Add the cream to the chilled bowl and whisk until nearly stiff. Remove 1/3 of cream and set aside for garnish. Add 6 Tbsp blackberry sauce to remaining cream and whisk into stiff peaks.
- Add fresh blackberries to the blackberry sauce then add blackberry sauce to whipped cream and continue beating until stiff then put in piping bag.
- To each serving dish, add blackberry sauce and 4 blackberries. Next, add angel food cake pieces (torn from the cake) and drizzle with a bit more sauce.
- Pipe or spoon a layer of pudding followed by a layer of blackberry whipped cream. Repeat layers, adding a few fresh raspberries to the berry layer. Garnish with whipped cream, fresh berries and a sprig of mint. Yum!
The cylindrical shape of angel food cake pans helps the cake bake fast and evenly!