If you celebrate Passover that means lots of that cracker-like unleavened bread known as matzah. Just because you can’t have anything made with grains doesn’t mean food has to be bland and boring. This is a super easy matzah pizza recipe that’s sure to satisfy your craving for pizza during the holiday.
For those of you who keep a kosher home throughout the year or maybe just during Passover, you’ll want to keep this recipe readily available—it’s going to become mighty popular. Because most foods require extra certification (kind of like the Passover ‘seal of approval’) during this holiday, it’s often tough and time-consuming to adapt recipes appropriately.
Not the case with our margherita matzah pizza! Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) is flavorful and has only a trace of acidity. It doesn’t require certification because it is cold pressed and needs no further refining, as in other oils. It’s perfect when lightly brushed on top of the matzah and prevents the pizza sauce from making it soggy.
Do like they do in Italy and make your own sauce by crushing whole canned tomatoes, or follow our lead and use store-bought pizza sauce—most grocery stores display kosher foods together for easier shopping.
As for cheese, fresh mozzarella is always preferred but the shredded stuff in the bag is a good alternative. Top with basil or any other favorite topping and you’ve got a snack or light meal that’s really perfect all year round.
matzah pizza recipe
what you'll need
- 1 box matzah meal lightly salted or unsalted
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups pizza sauce or marinara sauce
- 2 lb fresh mozzarella cheese
- 24 fresh basil leaves
- dried oregano
let's do it
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Brush each piece of matzah with a small amount of olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Spoon approximately 2 tbsp of pizza sauce into the center of each piece and spread it from the center to within about ¼" of the edges of the matzah.
- Slice the fresh mozzarella quite thinly and place 3−4 slices of mozzarella on each matzah. Place a few of the basil leaves randomly on top and sprinkle each pizza with a little dried oregano.
- Bake for 6−8 minutes, until the cheese is melted and gooey. Remove from the oven and wait just a few minutes before digging in—the cheese will be HOT! Enjoy!