What is einkorn flour?
Watch our video and find out.
Our leftover einkorn chicken pasta casserole is delicious, comforting and loaded with protein (thank you, chicken!) and nutritious einkorn pasta. It’s actually good for you! Indulge in a hearty dish without the guilt.
With a quick 30-minute prep time, this recipe is a perfect contender for weeknight dinner. Even if you don’t have leftover chicken, it’s quite simple to pick up a rotisserie bird at the supermarket.
If you opt for the rotisserie chicken, make sure you have 3 full cups of chicken. Voila, dinner’s on the table in no time!
Einkorn is helpful for those with gluten sensitivities or intolerances and not intended for those with celiac disease.
Einkorn leftover chicken pasta casserole recipe
what you'll need
- 2 cups einkorn penne pasta
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose einkorn flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper ground
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 12 oz bag frozen green beans thawed
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic minced
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 3 cups leftover chicken cubed or shredded
- 1/4 cup einkorn breadcrumbs
let's do it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook pasta until just before al dente, set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add flour and stir to combine. Cook the flour for 1 minute then add the milk whisking as you pour. Continue to whisk as the mixture comes to a boil. Turn the heat to medium low and continue to cook for 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside. Wipe out the skillet.
- Heat oil in the skillet over medium heat then sauté onions and celery. Cook until onion is translucent and celery is soft. Add garlic and green beans and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Transfer vegetable mixture to large mixing bowl then add chicken, pasta, white sauce, and cheese. Combine thoroughly.
- Pour mixture into a 9" square casserole dish and sprinkle with einkorn breadcrumbs.
- Bake uncovered, 30-35 minutes until the center is hot and sides are bubbly.
One Last Thing