Fried Egg Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Reinvent how you make grilled cheese with this delicious fried egg grilled cheese sandwich. With gooey Fontina cheese, fresh arugula and juicy ripe tomatoes, you’ll pile the ingredients between two slices of buttered and toasted sourdough bread—and it’s absolutely heavenly!
It’s not just the fresh produce that’s responsible for this great-tasting sandwich—part of the secret lies in the seasonings. A pinch of paprika, salt and fresh cracked pepper takes the flavor to a whole new level.
The Fontina cheese is earthy, gooey and buttery to taste that offers the satisfying cheesy goo that you love from a great grilled cheese.
Serve this sandwich with mixed greens, chips or fresh fruit then chow down!
Fried egg grilled cheese sandwich
- 8 medium eggs, fried, cooked as desired (hard,or soft)
- 8 slices artisan sourdough bread
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 8 oz Fontina cheese, or Gouda or provolone cheese, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- arugula, parsley or cilantro sprigs
- 1 pinch paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place a large non-stick skillet over medium heat then allow it to warm up. Spread about 1½ tsp unsalted butter on 1 side of each piece of bread then set aside.
- Place 4 pieces of the sourdough, butter side down, in the skillet then immediately top with sliced cheese. Cover skillet with the lid slightly ajar. Doing so will trap heat inside the skillet but allow steam to escape and melt the cheese. When the bread is golden brown on the bottom and the cheese has melted, which takes about 2-3 minutes, transfer to a serving dish. Place the remaining bread, buttered side down, into the skillet to toast.
- Meanwhile, top melted cheese with sliced tomatoes, fried eggs and the herb of your choice. Season with a light dusting of paprika, salt and pepper.
- When the bread in the skillet is grilled to a crispy golden brown, place the slices on top of the sandwiches and enjoy!