Now if you’re like a certain literary character we all know, you might find yourself resistant to the notion of green eggs and ham, but not to worry! The ‘green’ in my super-fun recipe is yummy pesto, not anything seemingly inedible.
After whipping this up a time or two, believe me when I tell you that the key to this recipe is the flatbread. There are a lot of varieties out there, but what you’re looking for is a crispy flatbread that will withstand the weight of all the tasty layers—so it needs to be thin, but not too thin! If all you can find is soft flatbread, you can crisp it up by placing it in the oven for 10 minutes.
Young and old will get a kick out of this fun culinary tribute to Dr. Suess or St. Paddy’s Day, and you’ll have just as much fun making it!
Green Eggs and Ham Recipe
what you'll need
- 4 pieces flatbread crispy, approximately 8" x 6" size
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup pesto
- 1/4 - 1/2 lb ham sliced, cut into 1/2" pieces, separated
- 12 eggs scrambled (with 1/2 tsp salt and pepper to taste)
- 1 cup tomatoes diced, juice drained (approximately 2 medium tomatoes)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded, or Monterey Jack cheese
let's do it
- Preheat oven to 350. Place flatbread on a parchment-lined baking sheet and lightly brush both sides with olive oil. Bake for 5–10 minutes.
- Remove bread from oven and cover with pesto sauce, cooked eggs, ham, tomato and cheese. Return to oven and bake an additional 5–7 minutes or until cheese is hot and bubbly.
- Slice bread in half with a pizza cutter, serve warm and watch these babies disappear.