Just because it’s stew doesn’t mean it has to be a heavy meal. Mashed potatoes in the stew itself thicken it naturally, so put away the flour and cornstarch!
Green zucchini, colored bell peppers and carrots add nutrients and color to this yummy stew. And a variety of herbs along with Dijon mustard reduce the need to add lots of salt, which makes it a healthier choice for you and your family.
Serve this soup recipe in a fancy homemade bread bowl!
Healthy Chicken Stew Recipe
what you'll need
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 celery stalks sliced
- 3 large carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 1/2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes cut into 1" cubes
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp chicken bouillon or salt
- 1 rotisserie chicken skin and bones removed and meat shredded
- 1 medium zucchini sliced
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp ground sage
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
let's do it
- Add olive oil to a large soup pot and place over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, celery and carrots. Cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add diced potatoes, chicken broth and chicken bouillon or salt. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 15–20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add chicken, zucchini, Dijon, basil, sage, thyme and parsley then return soup to a boil. Once soup is boiling, reduce heat once again to medium-low and simmer 15 minutes or until chicken and zucchini are cooked through.
- Remove 2–3 cups of cooked potatoes from pot and place in a small bowl. Mash potatoes finely with a fork then stir them back into the soup to thicken the broth. Mash as many or as few potatoes as desired to thicken stew to desired consistency.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper then ladle into soup bowls to serve. Enjoy!