Homemade Chicken Chili Video
Forget slaving over the hot stove all day for a great homemade chicken chili recipe. You can achieve the same fantastic, hearty results in just over an hour using our quick-cooking techniques.
Pinto beans give the chili a rich thickness you desire from a husky bowl of warm stew and the flavor—oh the flavor. The results will taste like they’ve been simmering for hours—we promise! Canned beans bring this recipe together much faster than dried beans; thank goodness for modern advancements.
If you prefer slow cooker-style, simply brown the chicken on the stove before adding it to the pot. This will help seal in the flavor. Once that task is out of the way, combine your ingredients in the slow cooker and let it simmer on low for 6–8 hours or on high for 3½–4 hours.
Serve this soup recipe in a fancy homemade bread bowl!
Homemade Chicken Chili Recipe
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs ground chicken
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 28 oz can tomatoes, crushed
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 16 oz can kidney beans, drained
- 2 cans pinto beans, drained and divided
- hot sauce, to taste
- Place a large pot over medium-high heat then add oil and ground chicken. Cook 6–8 minutes until browned, breaking it into chunks as it cooks.
- Stir in onion, salt and pepper then cook for about 3 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Add chili powder, paprika, oregano and cumin and cook for 1 minute.
- Add crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, drained kidney beans and 1 can of drained pinto beans. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, add remaining can of pinto beans and mash them into a paste with a fork using a small amount of liquid from the pot to loosen the mixture if necessary. Add mashed beans to the chili and stir to combine.
- Allow the chili to simmer, uncovered, until it reaches desired thickness. Remove from heat, season to taste with salt, pepper and hot sauce and serve with all of your favorites on the side.