If you’re an egg salad lover who likes the egg more than the mayo, this homestyle egg salad recipe is for you! We used very little mayo and relied on the creaminess of the yolks for a silky smooth texture.
The secret lies in knowing how to make perfectly hard-boiled eggs with tender whites and no graying around the yolks. Follow the instructions to the letter and you’ll have no problem! Grab a timer, start out with cold water and you’ll be peeling eggs in no time.
Chopped onion, fresh dill, Dijon mustard and lemon juice add just the right flavor to make this dish tasty. Add additional favorite ingredients to make it your own, or serve as-is.
Homestyle Egg Salad Recipe
what you'll need
- 1 dozen large eggs
- 1 Tbsp red onion finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk finely diced
- 3 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tsp dill chopped
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
let's do it
- Place the eggs into a large pot and add enough cold water to cover the eggs by 1". Place the pot over high heat and allow the water to come to a full rolling boil. Once the water boils, reduce the heat to medium-low and allow the eggs to simmer for exactly 2 minutes—set a timer!
- Next, remove the pot from the heat, cover and reset the timer for 10 minutes. Allow the eggs to sit undisturbed in the hot water until the timer goes off, then drain. Run the eggs under cold water or submerge them in ice water to stop the cooking process. Once the eggs are cool enough to handle, peel and chop the eggs then add them to a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, stir together the red onion, celery, mayonnaise, dill, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Once the dressing is completely combined, pour it over the chopped eggs and fold gently until it’s fully incorporated into the eggs. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Enjoy!
One Last Thing