Making our lasagna rollups recipe might require the same degree of preparation as traditional lasagna, but the kids will really get a kick out of having dinner plated in a single gooey and cheesy serving. It’s all about the ‘wow’ factor!
Just like your other favorite meals, it’s easy to select a serving size based on your eyes rather than your tummy. This is another reason we love this recipe—the lasagna rollups make a perfect single serving, especially if you’re trying to moderate your diet while still eating delicious food. If you’re avoiding carbs, this dish makes it easy to dig out the good stuff using a fork!
Our lasagna rollups were a hit in the test kitchen, so we’re confident you’ll get the same reaction from your family. With any luck there will be leftovers, because this recipe tastes even better on day two!
Lasagna Rollups Recipe
- 1 lb Italian sausage, (sweet hot or mild)
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups marinara sauce, divided
- 2 cups whole milk ricotta
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 10 oz box spinach, chopped, squeezed dry
- 12 lasagna noodles, boiled until soft
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided
- oregano, basil and parsley, dried
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat then add Italian sausage. Cook until no pink remains, breaking sausage into very small pieces while browning. Remove from heat then drain as much grease as possible.
- Return to heat then add onion and garlic. Cook for an additional 3–4 minutes, stirring frequently until onion is translucent. Add 1 cup of marinara sauce to meat mixture then bring to a bubble. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking for about 10 minutes, or until the sauce has become very thick and most of the liquid has cooked off. Remove from heat then let cool slightly.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together ricotta, beaten egg, salt, pepper, Parmesan and chopped spinach that has been squeezed until very dry.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, coat a 9" x 13" casserole dish with cooking spray then spread about ½ cup of marinara into bottom of dish and set aside.
- Place 2 or 3 lasagna noodles on work surface. Spread about 3 Tbsp of ricotta mixture across the surface of each lasagna noodle, leaving about 1" border on each end. Spread about 2 Tbsp of meat sauce over the ricotta then sprinkle lightly with mozzarella cheese as shown in photos.
- Roll each noodle up in a spiral then place into casserole dish with the loose end resting against the side of dish. Continue with remaining ingredients, reserving about 1 cup of mozzarella for topping. Pour remaining marinara sauce over the rollups, place a small piece of parchment paper over the sauce then cover pan with aluminum foil.
- Bake 40–45 minutes until hot and bubbly, then remove from oven and uncover. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella over rollups, sprinkle lightly with dried oregano, basil and parsley then return to the oven, uncovered, for an additional 10 minutes to melt cheese. Remove from oven then let rest for 15 minutes prior to serving so filling can set.