Low-Carb Einkorn Cauliflower Hamburger Casserole
You’ll never grasp the perks of being a cauliflower until you direct a fork into our low-carb einkorn cauliflower hamburger casserole. It’s a guiltless, filling delight with your favorite components like hamburger, cheese and cauliflower, only without all the carbs. We’re totally in love!
Save precious time by purchasing pre-cut cauliflower florets at the supermarket. They’re next to the bagged broccoli in the produce section. You can also buy pre-shredded cheese, but we prefer fresh shredded cheese for the gooiest results.
We decided to roast the cauliflower instead of steaming it, like most recipes call for. Roasting reduces the water in veggies so it won’t be soupy when it comes out of the oven. Make sure to drain as much water as possible for the best results. Enjoy!
Low-Carb Einkorn Cauliflower Hamburger Casserole Recipe
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 12 lbs lean ground beef
- 8 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose einkorn flour
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 tsp ground thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees then coat 9" x 13" casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Break cauliflower into small florets and place in food processor. Pulse until cauliflower pieces are about the size of grains of rice. Measure to make sure you have at least 4 cups of chopped cauliflower. It’s okay to have a bit more.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the cauliflower until just tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and drain then set aside. When cool enough to handle place large handfuls of cauliflower in a clean kitchen towel and wring out as much water as possible. Repeat with remaining cauliflower.
- While cauliflower is cooling, place large skillet over medium-high heat then add ground beef. Cook 5–7 minutes or until no pink remains, breaking meat into small pieces as it cooks.
- Add mushrooms, onion and garlic then cook 4–5 minutes until the onion becomes translucent and mushrooms soften.
- Drain excess grease from skillet, return to stove then reduce heat to medium. Sprinkle flour over meat mixture then mix until flour has dissolved completely. Cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently then add beef broth. Stir to combine, scraping up any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Bring liquid to boil then add thyme, paprika, oregano, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low then simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in milk, return to boil then reduce heat once again and simmer 5–6 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Add Parmesan cheese and prepared cauliflower to the beef. Stir to combine then adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary. Transfer mixture to prepared casserole dish then top with more Parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered 20–25 minutes or until the center is hot and the sides are nice and bubbly. Let casserole cool for 10 minutes before serving.