Our one-pan cheesy chicken and rice recipe is a cornerstone crowd-pleasing meal for any busy home. Ooey gooey cheese, savory sautéed chicken and hearty rice make this the perfect weeknight meal. A wholesome dinner that’s table ready in 45-minutes? We’re in!
This recipe is the best (ahem, besides the easy clean-up) because it’s so versatile! Swap the plain white rice for basmati if that tickles your fancy—or swap the broccoli for cauliflower or the sharp cheddar cheese for tangy Monterey jack. Tailor-made and tasty, just the way we like it.
One-Pan Cheesy Chicken and Rice Recipe
what you'll need
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 1/2" chunks
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup long grain white rice
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded and divided
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- salt and pepper to taste
let's do it
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Add onions, garlic and diced chicken. Season with salt and pepper and sauté, stirring frequently, until no pink remains.
- Sprinkle flour over chicken mixture and stir to combine. Cook flour for 30 seconds before adding chicken broth. Stir until flour is completely dissolved in the broth then add milk, rice and chicken bouillon. Stir to dissolve bouillon and distribute rice evenly inside the skillet.
- Bring liquid to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered and undisturbed, for 15–18 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is mostly absorbed.
- Add 1 cup cheddar cheese and broccoli florets to skillet and stir gently to combine. Do not stir too much or the rice will disintegrate.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as necessary. Continue cooking for an additional 2 minutes.
- Top with remaining ½ cup shredded cheese, remove from heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
One Last Thing