Forget store-bought pesto! Make your own at home using our recipe for one pan chicken with sun-dried tomato pesto and fresh green beans. It’s delicious!
Of all the recipes that go on trial in the test kitchen, one-pan dinners that taste great are the toughest to create. We were thrilled to knock the ball completely out of the park with this dish on the first try! The chicken comes out moist, the sauce is savory, the pasta is filling and the green beans are crispy—it’s everything you want dinner to be!
If you’re wondering where to find sun-dried tomatoes, we typically find ours in the aisle near the olives and the pickles. Also, you can easily modify how much spice to bring into the dish by opting in or out of the red pepper flakes.
One Pan Chicken with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Recipe
what you'll need
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil 1/2 of an 8.5 oz jar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup basil leaves packed
- 2 sprigs Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes crushed, optional
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken thighs boneless, skinless, cut in half
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth low-sodium
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 3 cups green beans cut into 2" pieces (about 10 oz)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
let's do it
- Place sun-dried tomatoes and garlic into a food processor fitted with a steel blade then pulse until both tomatoes and garlic are finely chopped. Add basil leaves, parsley, walnuts or pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, red wine vinegar, 1 Tbsp olive oil and crushed red pepper (if using) then process into a fine paste, scraping down sides as necessary.
- Add 2 Tbsp olive oil into a large, high-sided skillet then place over medium-high heat. Add chicken, salt and pepper and cook about 8-10 minutes until chicken is cooked through and light golden brown. Transfer chicken to a plate, cover with foil to keep warm and set aside.
- Return skillet to heat and add chicken broth. Scrape up any bits of chicken that are stuck to the bottom of the pan then add pasta and green beans. Give pasta a stir and bring broth to a boil. When broth begins to boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 12-15 minutes or until pasta is just tender. There will still be a small amount of liquid left in the skillet. If you like crisp, tender green beans, add them after the pasta has cooked for 8 minutes. The beans will only cook for 4-7 minutes and stay bright green and crispy.
- Add cream, cooked chicken and entire amount of sun-dried tomato pesto and stir until completely combined. If sauce is a bit thick, just add a bit of cream, broth or water to thin to desired consistency. Cook just until chicken and pesto are hot, then remove from heat and serve.