Parmesan peas with mint are an easy and tasty veggie side. The entire dish comes together in just 10 minutes.
As with any recipe, the quality of your ingredients is most important. That’s especially true with something like Parmesan peas because you have so few ingredients. It’s essential to use the highest quality—make ‘em count!
We like to use Parmigiano Reggiano, the best Parmesan on the market, for that reason. It really turns this dish up a notch—from good to great.
Younger petite peas are also better because they’re smaller and sweeter and have a little more crunch than the older variety. Defrost them by placing them in a strainer or colander and running under cool water for a few seconds.
Parmesan Peas with Mint Recipe
what you'll need
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 yellow onion grated
- 3 cups petite peas defrosted
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp fresh mint finely chopped
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese shaved, broken into small pieces
- cracked pepper to taste
let's do it
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and melt the butter. Add onion and cook 3–4 minutes until translucent. Add peas, sugar and salt, then cook, stirring continuously, just until the peas are heated through—approximately 3–4 minutes.
- Remove and transfer to a serving bowl. Toss with mint, Parmesan cheese and fresh cracked pepper then serve warm.