We love potatoes as much as the next person, but we wanted to try something a little different! You are going to love the crisp texture and savory flavor of our Parmesan polenta fries.
You can purchase polenta that’s already cooked in the Italian specialty area at your local supermarket. It’s a great shortcut, and all you have to do is pick up a package and start slicing. If you’re cooking your own, make sure to work fast—the polenta will thicken very quickly as you spread it into the pan!
Parmesan Polenta Fries Recipe
what you'll need
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups polenta or yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated, plus more for sprinkling
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- garlic salt
- marinara sauce or ketchup for dipping
let's do it
- Lightly coat an 8" x 8" square casserole dish with cooking spray or butter then set aside. Add water and milk to a large saucepan then bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once liquid is boiling, add polenta by gradually sprinkling it while constantly whisking to avoid lumps. Return mixture to a boil then remove from heat.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese and butter until completely combined then immediately transfer to prepared dish. Spread evenly using a spatula or cover with a sheet of plastic wrap and press into an even layer. Work fast because the polenta will immediately begin to set. Cover with plastic wrap then refrigerate until cool, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray, preferably olive oil.
- Remove polenta from refrigerator then turn out onto a cutting board. The polenta should come out easily in a solid mass. Cut in half into two 4" x 8" rectangles, then cut each rectangle into ¼" thick fries. You can make them any size you like, but the thinner they are the crispier they become.
- Transfer fries to prepared baking sheet then bake 25-30 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking. Remove from oven then sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese and a little more salt, pepper or garlic salt. Serve with marinara sauce or ketchup on the side for dipping.