Our peachy keen bars recipe is a yummy summer treat for a picnic, barbecue or just an everyday dessert! Use your ripe summer peaches to make this delicious dessert while cutting a few corners in the kitchen too—the pastry portion of the recipe doubles as the crust and the crumbly topping!
While the prep time is about 35 minutes, this recipe couldn’t be easier to make. Just combine the ingredients and achieve those buff arms you’ve always wanted giving them a vigorous stir! Layer, bake, cut into squares then you’re done!
If you’re serving this sweet treat to company and really want to up the ante—serve the peachy keen bars warm with a scoop of French vanilla ice cream on the side.
peachy keen bars recipe
what you'll need
- 6 cups peaches diced, (about 8 peaches peeled and pitted)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice or orange juice
- 1/2 zest of lemon
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter cold and diced into cubes
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg well beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
let's do it
- Place rack in center of the oven then preheat to 350 degrees. Coat a 9" x 13" cake pan with cooking spray or line with parchment paper then set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together ⅓ cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg until well combined. Add diced peaches then toss until the peaches are evenly coated and the dry ingredients have dissolved. Stir in lemon or orange juice, lemon zest and salt then set aside. NOTE: When working with fresh fruit, the amount of thickener you need depends on how ripe the fruit is. If you’re using super sweet, ripe fruit, increase the cornstarch by 1 or 2 Tbsp.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Cut the cold butter into flour mixture using a pastry cutter or fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs, then add ¾ cup granulated sugar and stir until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together beaten egg and vanilla then add to dry ingredients. Mix until well combined.
- Transfer 2½ cups of the pastry mixture into the bottom of prepared pan then press into an even layer. Pour peach filling—juices included—over the crust then spread into an even layer.
- Crumble remaining pastry mixture evenly on top of the peaches and bake 40–45 minutes—until the top becomes a light golden brown. Remove from oven then allow to cool until the filling is set. Cut bars into desired size then serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!