Serve something unexpected to mix up your breakfast routine. Our peanut butter and jelly puffs recipe is a light, flaky breakfast treat that is super simple to make and is sure to get you a high-five from the kids!
We kept things simple and used puff pastry sheets, rich and creamy peanut butter and sweet strawberry jam to make this delicious treat. You can use whatever flavor jam your heart desires or create an assortment of flavors to choose from at the table.
Puff pastry is a light, flaky, leavened pastry that rises as the water between the layers evaporates into steam during the baking process. Crimping your pastry along the sides will prevent the layers from flaking all the way to the edges.
Peanut Butter and Jelly Puffs Recipe
- 1 cup strawberry jam, or flavor of your choice
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 box puff pastry
- small egg wash, and brush, egg mixed with amount of water or milk
- pastry wheel, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat jam, cornstarch and water together in small saucepan over medium heat and cook until jam thickens, then set aside.
- Roll out sheets of puff pastry on lightly floured surface and cut out 36 equal sized rectangles.
- Spoon small amount of jam mixture onto 12 rectangles then layer with 12 more rectangles. Next, spoon small amount of peanut butter on top and then layer with remaining 12 rectangles (so the puffs have a layer of pastry, jam, pastry, peanut butter then pastry).
- Press edges to seal filling inside of each sandwich using your fingers, a pastry wheel or crimp with a fork.
- Brush sandwich puffs with egg wash and bake 12-15 minutes, or until sandwich puffs are golden brown.
According to the National Peanut Board of America, the average child will eat 1,500 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches before they graduate high school!