You can eat potato quinoa patties like hash browns, served on a bed of fresh greens for lunch or enjoy them as a vegetarian main course for dinner. What’s more, they’re just as tasty on day two—just nuke them in the microwave for a few minutes!
These patties are so flavorful! The potato is complemented by the nutty flavor of the quinoa with green onion adding a pop of that fresh onion flavor you love!
Serve this potato quinoa patties recipe with a sprinkle of sea salt and a little fresh chopped green onion on top. We’re looking forward to trying this dish with a couple of poached eggs—what about you? Join the conversation on Facebook using #EverydayDishes!
Watch our video on how to make quinoa!
Potato Quinoa Patties Recipe
what you'll need
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 medium Russet potatoes baked, peeled
- 1 large egg well beaten
- 3 green onion sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- oil for frying
let's do it
- Add quinoa, water and ¼ tsp salt to a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 18–20 minutes until quinoa is tender. Remove from heat to let cool slightly.
- Place peeled baked potatoes into a medium mixing bowl and mash coarsely using a fork until mostly smooth. Add beaten egg, sliced green onion, ½ tsp salt, pepper and garlic powder then mix until completely combined. Gently stir in cooled quinoa.
- Place large skillet over medium heat. Add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan by about ¼”. While the oil is heating, scoop ¼ cup of potato quinoa mixture and form into patties.
- Carefully place as many patties as you can in the skillet (without overcrowding), working in batches if necessary. Fry for about 5 minutes per side or until golden brown and crispy. Remove from oil then place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess grease. Sprinkle with a little salt then serve while hot and crispy.