Our red lentil and vegetable soup recipe is a win for vegetarians and carnivores alike! This protein-packed meal has robust flavor and endless health benefits.
It’s so fun to eat a great tasting meal without having to feel guilty afterwards. This soup can be made thick or thin, and is a great entrée soup or served on the side with a grilled sandwich.
Health benefits of using lentils as a main ingredient in your meal include lower cholesterol, high fiber content (which is great for a healthy heart and your digestive tract), and an excellent source of protein with virtually no fat.
In fact, one cup of cooked lentils only contains about 230 calories, but will still leave you feeling full and satisfied.
The ingredients for red lentil and vegetable soup are easy to find and super simple to prepare. Your family will be nothing but smiles at the dinner table!
Serve this soup recipe in a fancy homemade bread bowl!
Red Lentil and Vegetable Soup Recipe
what you'll need
- 2 cups red lentils
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 cups zucchini diced
- 2 cups carrots diced
- 2 cups celery diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 32 oz cans vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme chopped
- 1 Tbsp vegetable bouillon
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
let's do it
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium high heat then sauté onion, zucchini, carrot and celery about 8 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute more. Pour in vegetable broth and stir in lentils, garley, cumin, parsley and chili powder.
- Bring soup to boil then reduce heat and simmer 25-30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in fresh thyme, lemon juice and bouillon cubes, continue cooking about 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!