Perfect Roast Beef
There’s nothing complicated about our roast beef recipe! Good quality meat, three common seasonings, and a roasting rack will make it a perfect meal every time.
Our recipe calls for first cooking at a high temperature to brown the roast, followed by slow, low roasting to make the meat moist and juicy. Serve with our delicious homemade gravy recipe and you’ve got a winning combination for tonight’s dinner.
This post includes links to purchase items you’ll need from our affiliates.
Perfect Roast Beef Recipe
- 3 - 3 1/2 lb beef rump roast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Remove the roast from the fridge 45 minutes to 1 hour before roasting. About 15 minutes prior, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place a roasting rack in a roasting pan—if you don’t have a rack, use the slotted broiler pan that usually comes included with the oven. Spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- Season the roast on all sides with garlic powder and a generous amount of salt and pepper. Place the beef on the roasting rack or broiler pan with the fatty side up. Roast 30 minutes to give the meat a head start on a nice brown exterior.
- Reduce heat to 250 degrees and continue roasting an additional 1½–2½ hours or until the internal temperature reaches the desired level of doneness on a meat thermometer. This may happen a little faster depending on the shape and size of the roast so begin checking the temperature after 1¼ hours. As a general guide, remove the roast at 120 degrees for rare, 130 degrees for medium-rare, 140 degrees for medium and 150 degrees for well-done.
- Remove the roast from the oven, tent loosely with foil and allow it to rest 15 minutes before slicing. Dissolve the drippings in beef broth or stock to make delicious gravy if desired. Serve and enjoy.