How do you make inexpensive crab dip? We asked ourselves the same question, but it turns out you can buy white crab meat in the can for a fraction of the cost of fresh lump crab. The canned variety is also the perfect consistency for this recipe.
You probably have most of the ingredients needed for this recipe in your pantry, and we loved that we only had to dirty one pan. Not only is our hot crab dip easy to make—it makes enough to feed a crowd, so make sure you have plenty of crackers or crostini handy!
Step this dip recipe up a notch by serving it in a homemade bread bowl!
Hot Crab Dip Recipe
what you'll need
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 8 oz packages cream cheese room temperature
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- juice of 1 lemon
- 5 green onions sliced
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp celery salt
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce or more to taste
- 3 - 6 oz cans crab meat well drained
- 1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
let's do it
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees then coat a 2-qt casserole dish or deep-dish pie pan with cooking spray.
- Add olive oil to large skillet placed over medium heat. Add red bell pepper, cooking just until it begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 additional minute. Add milk and cream cheese, stirring until cream cheese is completely melted.
- Remove from heat then stir in Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, green onion, paprika, celery salt, dry mustard, pepper and hot sauce. Once completely combined, fold in drained crab meat, Monterrey Jack cheese and Parmesan.
- Transfer to prepared casserole dish, Cover top evenly with breadcrumbs then drizzle with melted butter. Bake 22–25 minutes, or until topping is golden brown and sides are hot and bubbly. Remove from oven and rest 10 minutes before serving with your favorite crackers, chips or bread. Enjoy! We doubt there will be leftovers, but in the off chance there are, the dip will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.