Kids think our roasted sweet potato skewers have a heavenly taste—with a little help from a deliciously subtle marshmallow dipping sauce. They’re easy to bake, fun to eat, and a great way to get the kids to eat something other than fries.
This recipe is one that can be completed in less than half an hour, so the kids barely have time to get restless! Just peel sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes and place on a baking sheet.
Coat cubes in olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt, then toss to coat. Preheat oven to 425 degrees, bake until caramelized and tender, approximately 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven. Allowing them to slightly cool makes it easier to thread on to skewers—you don’t want them to fall apart!
With the oven still on, place mini marshmallows in a buttered cake pan and toast for just a few minutes. (You really don’t have to toast them, but it does add a great flavor to the dip. It’s strictly up to you!)
The last thing to do is heat heavy cream in a small saucepan, stir in the marshmallows until melted then add a pinch of sea salt to season the dip. Your sweet potato skewers are now ready to dive in!
Be sure to save any leftover sauce! It reheats quite nicely and tastes great with graham crackers, apples and other fruits—making that after school snack especially good.
roasted sweet potato skewers recipe
what you'll need
sweet potato skewers
- 3 medium-sized sweet potatoes peeled, cut into 1" cubes
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
marshmallow dipping sauce
- 1/2 bag mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 1 pinch sea salt
let's do it
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place sweet potato cubes on a baking sheet and coat them in oil. Sprinkle with sea salt and toss to coat.
- Bake 15-20 mins until caramelized and tender, turning once halfway through
- remove from oven then allow to slightly cool. Thread sweet potato cubes on to skewers and set aside.
- Butter a 9" x 13" cake pan and add marshmallows. Toast marshmallows in oven until slightly brown on top, about 5 minutes.
- Heat cream in small saucepan and add toasted marshmallows. Stir until marshmallows are melted then season with salt.
- Serve skewers with toasted marshmallow sauce for dipping. Enjoy!
One Last Thing