We have the best slow cooker chicken and dumplings recipe you’ll ever make! The instructions are so simple, even the most novice cook will make a five star comfort food classic.
Just chop an onion, open a package of boneless skinless chicken, a can of broth, two cans of condensed soup and a little butter. Woohoo, you’ve already completed 90% of this recipe! Can it get any easier? Well actually, yes, it can! Use frozen vegetables in this dish rather than chopping your own. This chicken and dumplings recipe practically makes itself.
This recipe requires around 5 hours on high (or 8 hours on low) in the slow cooker, so dump in all of your ingredients and then take a nap, walk the dog or take the kids to the park. You get the idea!
We love this meal because it’s rich and hearty. You’ll want a second helping but we can’t guarantee that you’ll have room in your tummy! The most difficult thing about this recipe is deciding whether you should eat it with a fork or with a spoon.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
what you'll need
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 10 3/4 oz cans cream of chicken soup condensed
- 1 small yellow onion diced small
- 14 oz can chicken broth
- 1 large celery stalk
- 3 medium carrots peeled and sliced ¼" thick
- 2 cans homestyle buttermilk biscuits refrigerated cans, or easy buttermilk biscuits
- 1 cup all-purpose flour for dredging biscuits
let's do it
- Rinse chicken under cool water and place it in the slow cooker with the butter, both cans of cream of chicken soup, diced onion and chicken broth. Stir to just combine, cover turn the slow cooker on high and cook for 4−4½ hours. Or if you want this to be waiting for you at the end of your work day, cook it on low for 8 hours. There’s no need to stir or chop the chicken—just put the first 5 ingredients in the slow cooker and let it do the work.
- After about 4 hours, remove the lid and use a wooden spoon to stir and loosen everything from the sides and the bottom of the pot. Use the wooden spoon to break the chicken into chunks or press the chicken against the side of the pot to shred it if you prefer. The chicken should be very tender and come apart easily.
- At this point, you will stir in the celery and carrots (or whatever vegetables you like). Replace the lid and allow the vegetables to begin to cook while you prepare the dumplings.
- Pop open the cans of those homestyle buttermilk biscuits. Roll each piece of biscuit in flour to coat it completely. The flour will help thicken the stew. Drop the coated biscuits into the slow cooker on top of the stew. Space the dumplings out as evenly as you can but inevitably, a few of them will end up on top of each other. Once all of the dumplings have been placed in the pot, use your wooden spoon to dunk each one into the hot stew and try to situate the dumplings so they are as evenly spaced as possible.
- Cover with the lid once again and allow biscuits to cook for about an hour. Once they are cooked through, it’s time to eat, and eat well!
One Last Thing