Nutritional Yeast Popcorn
We are big fans of snacks around here, especially ones that are easy and healthy. This nutritional yeast popcorn is both of those things, and it can also be customized to incorporate any flavor you’re craving!
You may be wondering what is nutritional yeast and why the heck would I put it on popcorn? Well, it’s super healthy and full of flavor – what more could you ask for?
This post may include links to purchase items from our affiliates.
What is Nutritional Yeast?
This buzz-worthy product has been a staple in health food stores for years, but many people are still confused by what it is and how to use it. To be honest, before we got a bag, we were in the same boat! However, once we started learning more about the health benefits of nutritional yeast and all the different ways to use it, we were hooked!
Nutritional yeast is different from the yeast used to make bread or brew beer because it is grown specifically to be used as a food product and the yeast cells aren’t alive in the final product. The flavor is a nutty, cheesy flavor and is used as a cheese substitute for many vegan recipes.
Besides the delicious flavor, nutritional yeast is actually – well, nutritious! It’s a great source of protein, B vitamins, and trace minerals. This helps boost energy, support the immune system, and improve nail, hair, and skin health.
+ Making this popcorn in coconut oil versus butter keeps the flavor light and the calories low. Win-win!
+ This snack can be made many different ways. Try it with everything bagel seasoning, cayenne, taco seasoning, or fresh herbs!
+ Store your popcorn in an air-tight container for up to a week for an easy yummy snack any time of the day.
Nutritional Yeast Popcorn Recipe
- 5 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 1/2 tbsp popcorn kernels
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- Salt to taste
- Warm the coconut oil in a nonstick pan with a lid. You can test when the oil is ready by sticking the bottom of a wooden spoon in, and when bubbles form around the stick, you're ready to throw the kernels in.
- Throw in the popcorn kernels and add the lid on the popcorn.
- While the popcorn is popping, mix together the nutritional yeast, garlic powder, paprika, and salt in a bowl with a lid.
- Once the popcorn kernels are popped, add them to the bowl with the nutritional yeast and seasonings. Put the lid on and shake vigorously.